Saturday 29 June 2013

People are different

Compare and Contrast.

I remember doing the HSC and a common question option on my Geography exam was "Compare and contrast the vegetation/climate of two regions etc.."
Well I always enjoyed comparing and contrasting and it has been a pattern of human life that has always fascinated me. I like comparing people and contrasting their habits.
One interesting example is my blog posts.
I write various kinds of blogs although one is more popular.
My blog of spiritual enlightenment, inspirational thoughts and writings I have read over the years is the least popular. The most popular is the one that details the flaws of those who are leaders of church and state.
But what I fail to understand is why?
I write a blog subject that lauds the good of people like Mother Teresa, various saints and holy people and am lucky to get 25 people read it for the whole of the time its available online. While at the same time, sending only to the same group of people, I write a blog that details the failures of church leaders and government wannabes and get over 9.000 reads in one week!
"Why is that?" I ask myself.
A while back there was a fiesta in our town and it was presided by two bishops, twenty five priests and two deacons and attended by a huge crowd that I estimate was four hundred people. That probably is the size of our whole community. Small but I like it.
Anyway the very next day at Mass the congregation totalled twenty.
The priest was also surprised at the contrast and commented at the start of Mass like this:
"Yesterday there was such a huge crowd of people at Mass. Today there is nobody".
I felt like raising my hand and calling out, "We are not nobodies Father!" but I expected to be tut-tutted by the people around me who are all so respectful of their parish priest.
Whether there is 500 people reading this or five, I still exert the same amount of energy and I still edit it carefully before posting (of course there will still be mistakes).
I am writing a book at the moment which is filled with a compilation of spiritual wisdom that I have gleaned from various sources over a long period of time. I am sure it will not sell as many copies as my book of jokes.
Why is that?
I don't know. But it baffles me about the tendency of humanity to steer away from things that are positive and helpful and draws them towards the peripheral, more temporal things.
As another example: I don't know why my wife will spend hours online searching for recipes and skin treatment miracles, while she shuns the stories I direct her to, which are filled with advice on how to build small ecclesial communities or direct a group of local residents on how to develop a community produce garden.
I am still hopeful that I can inspire people to want to read my advice even if they don't like me.
Maybe that will only happen after I am dead, but my desire has always been to make a difference in the world. I suppose it doesn't matter when it happens or whether I live to see the results.
Anyway, that's the thought I wanted to share with the five or six people who are interested to read it.
And by the way, the recipes Josefina finds are pretty amazing and her miracle skin treatments, although a waste of time and resources in my opinion, seem to make her feel good.
Blessings!

No comments:

Post a Comment